Recycling and Waste Diversion
Recycling and waste diversion is the easiest thing we, as individuals, can do to help our environment. It’s accessible to everyone, it saves energy, and reduces greenhouse gas emissions. Although recycling is not the answer, it’s a proven step to the solution! We can make more radical changes by reducing and reusing, and educating ourselves and the community on waste management.
The nationwide average for Material Solid Waste (MSW) recycling is 34%. Colorado is well below that at 12%.
Eagle County recycles at more than twice the state-wide average, hitting 26% waste diversion in 2018. However, this still puts us well behind the nationwide rate with almost 10% more of our waste going to the landfill than the rest of the country’s average MSW diversion to recycling or compost facilities.
Eagle County Waste Wizard
Wondering what you can recycle in your Eagle Valley community? Or where to properly dispose of your waste? Use the Eagle County Waste Wizard! Simply enter the item you are looking to dispose of below and we’ll tell you if it can be recycled or where it can be disposed of properly. Enter the item below or click on the app links to download our mobile app to always have an answer at your fingertips!
Avon Recycling Drop Off Center
- Co-mingled including all colors of glass beverage containers, aluminum, steel and tin cans, plastic containers No. 1 through No. 7 that are rinsed and empty
- Corrugated cardboard boxes (which have an undulating layer between two flat layers) that have been flattened
- Office paper (staples and labels are accepted) and magazines
- Compost. Vail Honeywagon has established a variety of drop sites for residents who would like to participate in their compost program. One of those drop sites is located at the regional recycling center in Avon. To sign up for a compost drop-site membership, please contact Vail Honeyagon at at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- NEWLY ADDED - Textile recycling is now offered by USAgain, a for-profit company that collects unwanted textiles and resells them in the U.S. and abroad, effectively diverting millions of pounds of clothing from landfills.
Waste Hauler Services
If you are a single-family or duplex residence in the Eagle Valley using Waste Management or Vail Honeywagon, FREE curbside pickup is available for the most common household recyclables. Contact your waste hauler for details or to start service.
Vail Honeywagon | (970) 476-3511
Vail Valley Waste | (970) 977-9228
Waste Management | (970) 524-1800
Eagle County Recycling
Eagle County provides recycling opportunities for residents through a drop-off program at six collection sites located throughout the county. For further information about recycling please call, 970-328-3471
Please note: Material collected through this program is at the mercy of the recycling markets and does not include every product marked with the recycling symbol and number.
Vail – West of the Community Development Building at 75 South Frontage Road
Red Cliff – Red Cliff Community Center, 400 Pine Street
Avon – Town of Avon Public Works, 375 Yoder Ave (just past Home Depot)
Edwards – Edwards Rest Area near the I-70 exit
Eagle – 1050 Chambers Avenue at the Town of Eagle Public Works Facility
Gypsum – Northwest corner of Ridley's Market parking lot